Sunday, May 24, 2009

Prayers for a Miracle

Jack's previous owners wanted him back for reasons unbeknownst to me.I had feelings of both anger and sadness. I kept wondering how these supposed "dog lovers" could be so selfish and cruel to this animal; to give him away and then want to take him back. Jack had basically become a part of the family as well as my best friend. I was giving away a part of me. Tears were streaming down my face while I put the leash on Jack. He licked the tears in a gesture that said don't be sad, I love you. I headed outside towards my mom's car. The day was a sad shade of an overcast gray, the sky seemed to know how I was feeling. I placed him in the passenger seat of the car, gave him a hug, and said my farewell to Jack. He looked up at me with sad eyes; he knew that he was leaving me. The day he left was one of the worst days I've ever had in my life. I was depressed, who wouldn't be. In my head I thought that I had lost my best friend, and he was never coming back. Every night I'd cry myself to sleep and every morning I wake up to bloodshot eyes and a feeling of never wanting to leave my bed. My parents tried to convince me that it would be "okay" and that he will be just "fine" and they would eventually get me another goldiedoodle. I didn't think it would be fine or okay, and no other dog--even one of the same breed--would ever compare to Jack. I prayed every night not necessarily just to get him back but in hopes that he was happy and well-taken care of at his current home. I had a small voice inside my heart telling me that maybe he would come back, but my head told me to be realistic, that life doesn't always go the way you want it to. More than a month went by and I was still upset, but I had accepted what had happened. I went to school that day and in the middle of class my cell phone began to vibrate with my mom appearing on the tiny screen. I left class to see if it was an emergency. My mom said that it was no emergency but instead good news. She said that when Jack went back to his previous home, he wasn't the same--he was depressed, refused to play, and cried at night. The owners decided to give him back. I was elated; I couldn't believe it. I was getting my best friend back. My prayers came true.

No comments: